This week, my 5th grade students and I have been preparing to begin collecting work for growth portfolios. We began the week by talking about collections.
- What kinds of things to people collect?
- Why do the collect them?
- Why do they chose particular items?
Students came up with some cool, far-out ideas…bones, blood…along with more traditional ones…stamps, state quarters, rocks, shells..etc.
The next day each child brought in an item from a personal or family member’s collection and explained why that piece was chosen.
They identified specific reasons why someone might choose an item:
- It’s unique in its category
- It’s meaningful because it sparks a memory
- It’s meaningful because it appeals to personal taste
We began this way to draw some personal connections to collections they are already familiar with.
Next? Determine criteria for quality work…!